Apr 12, 2013

Friday Fun Day Recipe: Southwest Chicken Soup- Crock Pot

Friday Fun Day Recipe

So if you know me well enough you know I don't cook as often as I'd like. I actually DO enjoy cooking and love a new yummy meal.

I just have SUCH a hard time figuring it out timing wise.  You know actually having the ingredients on hand, shopping for the ingredients I don't (usually that's a lot), then still having time to do all the million other things I do each day and then still have time to prepare dinner and have it ready for our early dinner/bedtime routine.

So since I decided discussed with Ned that Friday's I do not cook (no pizza or taco night, much to Ella's dismay).  I just really want to go out. As much for the sanity as the food but it gives me the idea that we are changing up the weekly routine and feeling like the weekend is started.

SO I thought I would post one of my favorite recipes here each Friday.  Sometimes I will just share others that have been posted elsewhere, sometimes they might be healthy or not, but usually they will be fairly easy ones and ones that my family all enjoy and not SO much prep time. So I'd label them "good family meals", not one of Julia Child's gourmet ones.

So let's go, first one is one of the hubbies favorite.  He would eat it everyday, really.


Southwest Chicken Soup- Crock Pot

 Southwestern Chicken Soup Recipe


In a large skillet, saute the chicken in oil until lightly browned.  Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon.  Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Stir before serving. (Serves 10)


1-¼ lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into thin strips)
1-2 tbsp. Veg. Oil                                           2 cans (14 ½ oz) chicken broth
1 package (16 oz) frozen corn, thawed           1 med. Onion, chopped
1 can (14 ½ ox) diced tomatoes, un-drained  1 med. Green pepper, chopped
1 med. Sweet red pepper, chopped                1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
1 tsp. Ground cumin                                       ½ tsp. Garlic powder
1 ½ tsp. Seasoned salt (optional)

I usually serve with tortilla chips crunched up on top, sour cream, and freshly sliced avocado's, because that's how I roll.  While Ned usually only adds the avocado because, well, he is better about being healthy, but it is SO much better with...so try both ways and see how you roll.

1 comment:

  1. YES! I LOVE when people post recipes! Especially CROCK POT recipes! Thanks doll face! I"ll be doing this one soon!! Love me some "southwest" recipes so keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete